GRANDMA GAIA (A SHORT STORY)

GRANDMA GAIA

(A short story written for METU FLE Department's ecology themed 2025 short story competition.)

 Our family has a fine lineage. I wouldn’t say our ancestors were recognized or that we are related to a celebrity, but I have never seen a day without the smell of freshly baked wheat bread. Like a child of a working-class of many, I had my babysitter when I was younger. No, it was not a beautiful young maid in her prime with whom my father would cheat on my mom. I had the chance to be looked after and raised by a fine lady who could not be compared to any being else in this world. Beneath her regular grandparent she was also an expert with her knitting and baking. Grandma Gaia used to read me stories and make me believe that I could be a hero to save the world.

 We used to live in a small house with a garden that wouldn’t host a dog because of its size. Our home was located in Willow Wood. Based on the current conditions, living in a small house in Louisiana, which offers a suburban life, would still be considered fortunate. I barely had the chance to get to know my father's or mother's interests, as I only had the opportunity to get a firm kiss during the midnights on my forehead when I was primarily half-asleep. Still, I was happy. All my wishes and transcendent memories to reminisce were all granted by Grandma Gaia.

 I was born in a hospital in the middle of April, and instead of crying and tearing up my throat like many newborns do, my cries sounded like a chant—at least that was what my granny used to tell me. Because of my calmness and peaceful entrance into my family’s life, Grandma Gaia found a solution that ended the name debate between my ma and pa. “Serene” was my name.

 My grandma and I would visit Old Pearl River in a century when kids were given electronic tablets to entertain themselves. On the other hand, I barely recall any memories that contained a technological device that would cause me to laugh, except for a few Tom and Jerry episodes that played on our old tube television, which my grandma was immensely resistant to selling because it reminded her of grandpa.

 My grandmother taught me many things. With her remarks, I discovered the difference between a water oak and a laurel oak, where one has narrow and smooth-edged leaves while the other has a more spoon-shaped kind. I learned not to fear or be hostile towards many reptiles and critters. We had many encounters with variant animals and even saw a giant crocodile. “But grandma, why isn’t it attacking us? Isn’t it hungry?” I still remember her wrinkles, which resembled the layers of the wings of a lark, becoming more vivid with every naive question of mine. “My sweet Serene, they only get aggressive if you violate their sweet homes. Imagine a thief trying to destroy your room and your dolls.” I would shiver and reply, “No, not my Barbie collection!”

 On our last trip together, while watching my reflection in the serene water, I saw a snake with a black and gold texture, which totally ignored me, although it was the second visitor to the lake. I pushed myself hard enough not to shake and tried to fake that I was brave enough to protect my grandmother, but truly, I was afraid—I was most afraid. Instead of a monster, it looked somewhat superior and royal to me. As she slithered back to her world without noticing me even once, I thought I lost my chance with one of the queens of life.

 Although I never saw my nana’s face or heard her relaxing voice after age twelve, I fulfilled her last request by continuously whining to my parents. She wanted to be buried near the Honey Island Swamp. Five years had passed, but I still remember every detail all too well. And then they came... Securis.

 My father worked at the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. He was responsible for state-level permits and reviews of environmental impacts. Unlike being the only offspring of Grandma Gaia, my father turned into a murderer in my eyes in just one single day.

 “Securis” was a wood company that wanted to provide LVL (Laminated Veneer Lumber) for houses to be built with a more potent manufactured wood product to protect them from Louisiana’s storms. Even though there are plenty of empty rental offices they can claim, their decision was to invade the only place that carried my sweet memories with Gaia. In a land with abundant resources, Securis was determined to build its own company from the start, and my father, with the offering of plenty of green papers, sold his family’s honor without a blink.

 Time flew for many, but not for us, not for the critters, oaks, or reptiles in the swamp. I was on my occasional visit to where my grandmother rested, and a sudden encounter happened between me and a banner that was hung on the entrance of an empty land: "No decay, no storm, let your house reform." It was impossible for me not to recall what existed in this empty land since grandma and I used to walk into the woods. All those branches that used to dance harmoniously with the laurel oaks, all the chirping and singing of warblers and cuckoos, all the leaves that would be collected to make a hairpiece were all gone… There was nothing but emptiness… There was no sign of my snake, and the only yellow and black thing was the unalive human-made board saying, “Construction Area.”

 As each arm started to move, oppositely aligning my legs, I rushed to my grandma’s tomb. I began communicating and with each touch to her stone, I left a handprint because my wet hands had just wiped my tear troughs.“Oh, Gaia, hear me. They are taking over and invading everything.” For the first time, maybe in forever, my tears acted somewhat rebelliously and contrary to my name. They were anything but serene. I stared hopelessly at the oak that would cover my grandma like an umbrella from the sun’s cruel heat.

 I closed my eyes and felt a caress that I had not felt for more than five years. I started looking at the tree. The biggest tree that witnessed all my childhood memories. For a moment I heard some whispering. As if the whispers were calling me... Inviting me to join them... The wind was combing my hair like my grandma used to pat and rub me. No, my leaves were being combed. Wait, my leaves? Grandma Gaia... What would you do if you were here? What would it be like to be as wise as you?  I sighed, and my arms felt heavier, probably because of all the miles I rushed to get here. They stretched with one last hope, challenging the sun like a desperate prayer. My branches were free now... I was complete... I could hear my grandma humming my favorite lullaby. Was I asleep? Was I dead?

 Almost half a year has passed for them. A guy in his late forties with a moustache with yellow marks on his gray beard and a giant lit cigar in his mouth approached. He was no other than the boss of the Securis company. “Off with all of you! We need to claim all the territory before our company’s first-year profit. I didn’t pay that guy all those dollars just for you rascals to rest your butts. We need to expand as much as possible; we have plenty of customers to please!” With a grin resembling a pig in an animal farm, the boss noticed the very tree that was protecting Gaia’s grave. “This-” he gasped with awe. “This was not here before. What a glorious wood that can be utilized for many. Start with this one and be careful with the tomb, we don’t want any legal issues yet.”

 Although the tree had freshened many lungs for many days, it now gave a haunted look and had no will to serve any human around. Many of the boss's workers hesitated to approach. Three words echoed from the authority: “I said now!” The workers' grips on the axes tightened, and as they slowly came closer, the ground shook.

 Dexterously, the boss intervened and shouldered a few of his workers. "That's what happens when you pick the wrong people to work with!" The subtle shake turned into an earthquake and caused many workers to take a few steps back. An omnipotent and natural sound occurred and imitated an artificial chunk: “Didn’t you kill enough?” The source was ambiguous. Neither the boss nor the workers could identify where it came from.

  A car approached the scene. It was Serene’s father. “I am sorry, but this place was beyond our deal... What are you guys doing here, and what was that freaky noise?” The earthquake happened once more while articulating her last group of artificial sounds. "Grasp all, lose all."

 The voice... It was a familiar one... Not to the boss, not to the workers, but to him... The father’s eyes grew. With a weak tone, he mumbled, “S-Serene?”

 The atmosphere and the environment were altered entirely. There were no more axes, suits, or cars. Every spot that each invader stood now turned into beautiful oaks, and now they were aiding Gaia to rest in peace while being covered from the heat o’ the sun. There were no more minutes left, no more yesterday or tomorrow. There was just transcendence and coherence beyond human capacity.

 -THE END-


 For Professor Nurten Birlik, whose grace and wisdom embodied here amateurishly, quietly and kindly, between the lines..

(Image generated with the assistance of OpenAI's ChatGPT, 2025.)

Hakan Can TOPALOĞLU (HAKOBELL)

Comments